The Black Dragon Kalameet is one of the last remaining ancient dragons, and a feared one at that. He's so mighty that even Anor Londo dare not to provoke him. To honor your services to Artorias, Gough comes out of his retirement briefly to shoot one last shot from his greatbow to incapacitate the dragon, allowing you to fight Kalameet easier. You will first catch a glimpse of him when you're about to cross the stone bridge leading to the second area of Royal Wood.
Conditions to Fight Kalameet
You can actually kill Kalameet without Gough's help, but it will be much harder. To normally fight him, you need to:
- Talk to Hawkeye Gough until he mentions Kalameet
- Get close enough to Kalameet's area to see him fly past (it's not necessary to descend the ladder or be attacked by him)
- Talk to Gough again. Answer "Yes" to both his questions
After the cutscene, a fog gate will appear in front of Kalameet's boss area. You can now properly fight Kalameet. Royal Wood (including Artorias's boss area) is now eligible for summoning/invading again as Kalameet is now considered a boss for the area.
- A Titanite Slab can be obtained from the chest behind the waterfall either after Kalameet is defeated or even before, if you're fast enough.
- A Crystal Lizard can be found over the edge of the waterfall resting on a ledge.
His black fire breath attacks cause an large drain on stamina and deal both physical and magical damage. Avoid trying to block them if possible.
- Vertical breath blast: Flies straight up and blasts breath straight down to generate a large area of effect.
- Forward breath blast: Blasts breath straight forward with long range.
- Arcing breath blast: Leap forward and then blasts breath over last position through an arc of about sixty degrees.
- Sit up breath blast: Sits up on back legs and then blasts breath on the ground in front of him.
- Telekinesis: Sits up on back legs and then emits a telekinetic field in front of him, grabbing anyone caught in it and causing damage. This is indicated by the eye on his forehead glowing as well as a screeching noise. The affected character will take double damage for a short time, indicated by an eye icon floating above their head.
- Short range head swipe: Kalameet may follow up this attack with one more swipe.
- Lunging head swipe: This one hits harder. When you block this attack, your character will tumble backwards, even with Greatshields.
- Diving attack: Kalameet will hover above the ground, then do a dive attack.
- Tail pound: Character must be directly behind Kalameet. Usually after diving attack. This attack leaves Kalameet's tail exposed, use this opportunity to cut his tail.
- 360 degrees tail swipe.
- Left and right foot stomp: Stomps with left front leg and then right back leg or vice versa.
- Using lock-on constantly during this fight may lead you to a number of awkward deaths. If he uses vertical breath blast, locked camera will follow him straight up and you won't be able to see the flames spreading right in front of you. I suggest you to release lock-on completely for this fight as you usually attack different low parts of the boss and camera locks on its torso which means it will be always looking up and won't let you attack his particular leg or tail.
- if you see him flying straight up above you then he is preparing his vertical breath blast - just run in opposite direction as far as you can - that will save your life for sure.
- forward breath blast is easily avoided by side-rolling but will almost certainly fully drain your stamina and deal heavy damage if you attempt to block it.
- he may also perform arcing breath blast without flying off - then run straight away from him - the tip of the flame may slightly touch you but won't make any harm - this is the minimal safe distance. If you are close enough when he starts this move you can also try running in the same direction he spreads his breath arc. If you are fast enough you can outrun the flame and end up near his neck/front legs for a counter-attack. Breath arc can be blocked with a magical-resisting shield (e.g. Crest Shield), but it is recommended that you dodge if possible.
- when he sits up for a breath blast it's a good opportunity for counter-attacking - all you need is to run close enough so you place yourself by his back legs - you can slam a few hits on him or try to cut off his tail while he keeps spreading flames straight forward.
- his lunging head swipe is very likely to be his fastest and most unpredictable attack. Watch his head as he will retract his neck before the attack. This one can be blocked with 100% phys. shield for a nice amount of stamina but beware as there's a chance of follow-up, so after a succesful block get below him as fast as you can and you'll be rewarded with a couple of free hits. Also there's a stronger version of this move that will throw you into a backflip even if blocked but you'll stay on your feet so don't be afraid and just keep your shield up if there's no chance of getting out of his range.
- tail pound can be easily avoided by side-rolling.
- his spinning tail swipe is of much resemblance with Sif's jumping-off slash attack so block it or just roll back.
- if you see him nosediving at you a couple of side-rolls will take you out of his reach.
- foot stomp is triggered if you stay below him for too long but it's not very precise so if you stay between his front and back legs you will hardly take any damage, blocking helps only after moving a little to the side.
- telekinetic grab can be avoided by side-rolling if predicted accurately. It starts when you are close in front of him and looks mostly like a sit up breath blast. If you are hit, a small glittering eye will appear above your head - that means you will take double damage from Kalameet's attacks. This is called "Calamity effect" (see Calamity Ring). While this effect reigns, his tail and head swipes are extremely dangerous so keep your distance and evade everything you can until the debuff is gone.
Tip: Speed is important as you'll have to run alot to approach the dragon's flanks. Fire defense equipment will help you survive his devastating breath attacks.
Tip: Poise can be a hazard in this fight, as you can get hit multiple times by lunge attacks instead of being knocked over. However, high Poise when using a Greatshield can help block multiple hits and leave you close enough to attack effectively.
- The maximum lock-on range slightly exceeds the range of Kalameet's breath attacks. This allows you to stay just out of range and fire projectiles at him while locked on.
- Keep your equipment burden low. You will need to roll to avoid all of his attacks. Dark Wood Grain Ring is recommended. Equip any shield you like; you won't be using it.
- Fighting from a distance eliminates most of the dragon's nastiest attacks. He will rely primarily on breath attacks, which are easily avoided from far away. Each time he uses his breath, you should be able to get one or two shots in.
- The main threat will now be Kalameet's lunging head attack. This will hit all the way to the edge of the lock-on range and deals major damage. Learn to recognize his wind-up animation and with good timing you can dodge the attack without much difficulty.
- This battle's arena is wide open, making it fairly easy to maintain the maximum distance from Kalameet. But beware of getting your back against a wall. If Kalameet closes the distance, you're in for a lot of hurt.
- The fight will be long and drawn-out. Bring plenty of Estus Flasks (more than 10).
- Wait for either of two attacks: his lunging head swipe or sit up breath blast. Try to initiate a lunging head swipe (dodge or effectively block) and try to position yourself behind Kalameet so he does a follow up with a tail pound. This allows for 1 to 3 hits before he continues to attack. You can also wait for Kalameet to do his sit up breath attack and run directly behind for 1 or 2 attacks.
- Alternatively, stay at medium distance and get Kalameet to do a diving attack. Once you see Kalameet hover above ground, get as close (but not too close) to Kalameet's front as you can and block the attack. The knockback will send you backwards directly behind Kalameet, and most of the time Kalameet will do a tail pound move. Make sure you dodge the attack by stepping sideways. Once his tail is sitting on the ground, give it a good hit. Repeat. You will need a decent shield to do this.
- Keep following his right back leg, wait until he does the forward breath blast, then run to his tail and do a heavy strike. Block his head swipe attack with shield, then run away when he flys up to do the Vertical breath blast. When you hear his fire breath sound and do some rolling. Go back following his leg again, keep as near as to his right back leg