A sudden burst of damage inflicted when the Bleed Resistance is overcome, signified by a large notice stating "Blood Loss". The damage inflicted is a percentage of the target's max HP. The percentage of health lost is 0.1 times the value indicated on the item. Most weapons and enemy attacks have a bleed rating of 300 (30% HP loss). The only exception is Crossbreed Priscilla's scythe attacks and weapons from her (Lifehunt Scythe and Priscilla's Dagger) which have 500 bleed rating (50% HP loss).
- Get hit by enemies that have Bleed buildup on their attacks:
- Hit enemies with weapons that have Bleed aux. effect:
- All Katanas (Including when Undead Merchant Male and Shiva's Bodyguard use Uchigatana against you)
- Bandit's Knife (Including when the Thief of Clan of Forest Protectors uses it against you)
- Barbed Straight Sword (Including when Kirk, Knight of Thorns uses it against you)
- Gold Tracer (Including when Lord's Blade Ciaran uses it against you)
- Great Scythe
- Jagged Ghost Blade
- Lifehunt Scythe (50% HP loss when inflicted, inflicts Bleed buildup on both the target and the user)
- Morning Star (Including when Petrus of Thorolund uses it against you)
- Notched Whip (Including when Xanthous King, Jeremiah uses it against you)
- Painting Guardian Sword
- Priscilla's Dagger (50% HP loss when inflicted)
- Reinforced Club
- Spiked Shield
- Consume Bloodred Moss Clump - recover from the effect of Bleeding and restore full bleed resistance
- Cast Remedy
- Increase Endurance stat
- Equip Bleed Resistant armors
- Equip Bloodbite Ring (multiplies base Bleed resist by 5)
- Equip Gargoyle's Halberd (increases Bleed resistance by 25)
- Equip Bloodshield (just equipping Bloodshield increases Bleed resistance by 50)
- Block with shields that have 100% Bleed resist to prevent Bleed buildup:
- The bleed bar build-up per strike is not listed in the in-game weapon statistics, only the percentage of health lost when blood loss occurs. Check each weapon's page for bleed buildup information.
- Bleed damage is capped lower for damage against bosses.
- The skeletons are able to inflict bleed upon the player when using their Scimitars and Falchions, despite these weapons not having a bleed effect when used by the player against enemies. Similarly, the Painting Guardians cannot use their weapons to inflict bleed upon the player, though the Painting Guardian Sword does inflict bleed upon enemies when wielded by the player.
- Enchanting bleed weapons increases the amount of bleed build-up per strike. An increase in damage past the base damage for a bleed weapon will increase the bleed buid-up by a proportional amount.
- Chaos weapons lose scaling with stats but the additional fire damage will increase the Bleed build-up, along with further increase on the amount of humanities possessed.
- Bleed damage is not blocked by any shields to any degree if the build-up was caused by an opponent in PvP. The same is true with Poison and Toxic.
Enemies Immune to Bleed
The following enemies are believed to be fully immune, or have a resistance that is unrealistically high to overcome in-game. NPCs that cannot be killed are not included in this list.
- All skeleton types
- Both ghost types
- Crystal Golem / Golden Crystal Golem
- Crystal Lizard
- Demonic Foliage
- Demonic Statue
- Giant Stone Knight
- Hellkite Dragon
- Humanity Phantom
- Stone Guardian
- Prowling Demon
- Undead Dragon / Bounding Demon of Izalith
Note - Enemies such as the Armored Tusk, Black Knight, Chained Prisoner, Darkwraith, Man Eater Shell and Possessed Tree have a very high resistance that can be difficult to overcome under normal circumstances. Though it is possible to bleed them, it is much more likely that you will kill them well before triggering bleed.
- Bed of Chaos
- Black Dragon Kalameet
- Ceaseless Discharge
- Chaos Witch Quelaag
- Four Kings
- Gaping Dragon
- Gravelord Nito
- Gwyn, Lord of Cinder
- Iron Golem
- Knight Artorias
- Moonlight Butterfly
- Seath the Scaleless