- The initial three Infested Barbarians can be easily disposed of by luring them with arrows, climbing up the ladder so you are on the small platform above them. Shoot them once more when they walk back, then hug the wall and when they run under you they will fall down or you can just lure them by walking close to them.
- Next is a group of Infested Ghouls which you also should lure one by one. When done, watch out to the right where a ladder is. There in the dark is a Blowdart Sniper shooting poisonous darts, kill him and he will not respawn.
- Down the ladder are two more Infested Ghouls and at the end a proud knight soul - then go back up the ladder.
- Follow the path until it splits. On the left you can jump onto a platform that has the Iaito sword, however this is a fairly difficult jump, so if you want to play it safe try it when you are coming back up from the upcoming bonfire, as you will most likely die if you miss. On the right are a few more Infested Ghouls. There is a ladder down where another Infested Ghoul is; pick up the soul lying there afterwards. Note: Make sure you take the ladder down here, as simply dropping down to the lower level will result in the floor giving way and you plunging past the bonfire into a lower level full of Infested ghouls and you'll have to work your way back up.
- Go on and you will find on the next platform one Infested Ghoul in a large vase which you can ignore and another one which you should avoid this time. Instead, take the ladder down, in one direction you will see the bonfire. Go there and rest.
- From the bonfire go collect various items. you can go on the other direction where you will find down a ladder: 2 more Infested Ghouls and then 2 Flaming Attack Dogs - you will find 1 Humanity and 3 Blooming Purple Moss Clump, so its worth the walk. If you go back up the ladder where you came from and this time dispose of the Infested Ghoul you ignored the time before, you can roll over to another platform. There you find the Shadow Armor Set, which has the high Poison Resistance; there is also the Soul of a Proud Knight.
- If you want the Iaito, then go back and do the difficult jump we discussed in Step 4. If you look around from there, you will be able to see a platform leading back to the bonfire directly underneath you. It is recommended here to kindle the bonfire as it is a long way down and chances are you will be toxified once or twice before the end of this area.
- After collecting all of the treasure listed above, instead of climbing up the ladder you climbed down to get to the bonfire, take the path behind it. On the left you will find another ghoul waiting for you along with 2 Flaming Attack Dogs. (These dogs may have fallen to their deaths while you were jumping around for treasure, so you may not encounter them.) After you cross this stone walkway you will encounter 2 more ghouls. Be careful as you advance on the scaffolds as there is another Blowdart Sniper.
- You will work your way down a series of ladders, killing ghouls as you go, until you eventually reach a crossroads. Directly in front of you, you will see a Parasitic Wall Hugger, and to the right you will see a ladder and a path beside it leading to a tunnel. The far left path will wind its way down and around and will eventually lead you to a pylon that has the Eagle Shield with an Infested Ghoul guarding it. Just beyond the wall hugger is the Power Within pyromancy spell. To kill it you can either attack it with pyromancy or climb the ladder mentioned above which will lead you into a tunnel behind the wall hugger to safely kill it with melee.
- Once that is taken care of, you will take the path beside the ladder into the tunnel. Be careful as you enter as there is another barbarian with a ghoul behind him. If you accidentally aggro them both at the same time, you can run back and climb a ladder. The ghoul will follow you, but the barbarian will turn back to the tunnel. After you have dealt with them, you can follow the path to a fog door. Before entering the door, you can carefully walk off the left side of the path for a Whip. If you chose to drop down, you will have to follow a path back into the previous room with the scaffolding and the wall hugger.
- After you pass through the fog door, you will be in the swamp area of Blighttown. As you follow the path left you will encounter a new enemy, the Cragspider. These enemies use a fire attack that is fairly easy to avoid, but can cause lots of damage if it connects. Work your way down the scaffolding, killing more cragspiders, and you will run into another blowdart sniper. After dealing with all of them and reaching the bottom you will be in the swamp.
- This is the part where you are going to want your Rusted Iron Ring equiped. The water in the swamp will quickly poison you, so you will need to move quickly. If you follow the cave wall on your right, you will come to a tunnel with another bonfire in it. I suggest that you work your way from pillar to pillar (they have some dry land around them, allowing your poison meter to empty), but if you feel brave and have the vitality, you can run straight for the bonfire. Be warned, as you progress through the swamp, you will encounter Giant Mosquitos. They are more annoying then they are difficult. A stabbing weapon is suggested so that you can keep your shield up, or you can try to pick them off at a distance with a bow/spells. You should always keep an eye out for them as you advance. Note: it is more than likely, if not guaranteed, that you will be poisoned as you progress through the swamp. Instead of wasting a Purple Moss Clump every time you hit a patch of dry land, just don't worry about the poison until you're sure you won't be going back in the swamp. The poison does such little damage that it's not worth panicking about.
- Regardless of the route you took, you should now be at the bonfire. If you follow the tunnel that the bonfire is in, you will enter a highly suspicious, yet harmless room with a lone chest containing a Dragon Scale. Now, back to the bonfire. As you exit the tunnel, head right. You will encounter another cragspider and, if you're in human form, Maneater Mildred will invade and appear on the other side of the pillar to your left. If you stay on the piece of land that you fought the cragspider on she will come to you. After you defeat her, you can summon her for the boss fight, where she will prove herself to be invaluable (you must still be in human form to summon her).
- Continue to work your way to the right of the bonfire and you will see a wooden ramp with torches (ignore it for now) and a strange hill with a few more barbarians. These barbarians fight with giant boulders, which cannot be blocked and cause massive damage. These guys are slow however, so you can easily dodge and backstab them for lots of damage. Once you have defeated them, continue up the hill into a tunnel, which leads right into Quelaag's Domain.