Curse causes instant death once the Curse bar is full. After you respawn at the bonfire, your HP is cut in half and you can't gain Humanity (stat), signified by a skull icon that blocks your Humanity counter. Cursed status remains even through death.
- Get hit by Basilisk's cloud attacks
- Get hit by Seath the Scaleless's crystal breath attacks
- Cast Resist Curse (only recovers Curse buildup, doesn't remove it if you're already Cursed)
- Consume a Purging Stone
- Speak to Ingward
- Raise your Humanity (stat)
- Equip Cursebite Ring (multiplies base Curse resist by 5)
- Equip various Curse resistant armors
- Equip Bloodshield (just equipping Bloodshield increases Curse resistance by 50)
- Equip Rare Ring of Sacrifice (doesn't increase Curse resistance, but prevents you from getting Cursed if you died by Curse attacks)
- Cast Resist Curse (also raises Curse resist in addition to recovering buildup)
- Block with shields that have high Curse resist to slow Curse buildup:
- The Max HP-halving effect can be used in conjunction with Blue/Red Tearstone Ring and Power Within. Curse effectively halves the HP drain effect of Power Within. With low enough Vitality, you can nullify the HP drain even with Sanctus. If you can get the perfect balance for HP Drain/HP Regen, you can keep your HP below 30%, thus activating the Tearstone Ring(s) while having Power Within active.
- When you (or another player) are killed by curse, a stone statue will appear in that area in the worlds of other players. These statues are generally short lived and disappear after several seconds or you can break them yourself.