The Darkwraiths, incited by Kaathe, use the
power of the dark soul to absorb humanity, an
art shared by this weapon, which also acts as
a special shield. The ancients, particularly,
could sap the humanity of even a replete
saint in the blink of an eye.
|Image||Name||Damage||Critical Bonus||Durability||Weight||Stats Needed
|80/80/80/80||30||0 / 0 / 0 / 130||1|
- When equipped in the left hand slot, the weak attack (block button) will spawn a blackhole-like shield with no deflection. The strong attack will parry.
- When equipped in the right hand slot, the strong attack will do a grab attack, similar to the Darkwraith enemy, that can absorb (soft) Humanity from invading online players and some NPCs. The amount of maximum Humanity absorbed per attack scales with your Darkwraith covenant rank.
|Darkwraith covenant level||Max. Humanities absorbed per use|
Humanities Absorption on NPCs
Depending on your Darkwraith covenant rank, you may need to use the Dark Hand several times to fully drain an NPC. Some NPCs may end up Hollowed if you finish their quest or you buy all their items, Hollowed NPCs yield no Humanity when you use Dark Hand on them.
For the sake of completion, the list below also contains NPCs that have no drainable Humanity, but you can use your drain move on.
|NPC Name||Max. Drainable
|Lord's Blade Ciaran||none||-|
|Domhnall of Zena||none||-|
|Dusk of Oolacile||none||-|
|Griggs of Vinheim||3 Humanities||May become lost if you bought all his Sorceries|
|Lady of the Darkling||none||-|
|Laurentius of the Great Swamp||5 Humanities||Drain him at Firelink Shrine, after being saved from Depths
May become lost if you let him go seek Quelaana of Izalith
|Dark Spirit Kirk, Knight of Thorns||none||-|
|Knight Lautrec of Carim||8 Humanities||May become lost; see his page and Anastacia's for more details|
|Big Hat Logan||none||-|
|Dark Spirit Maneater Mildred||8 Humanities||Refer to Phantoms on how to spawn her|
|Oswald of Carim||none||-|
|Oscar, Knight of Astora||none||Initial meeting in Undead Asylum.|
|Petrus of Thorolund||2 Humanities||-|
|Rhea of Thorolund||12 Humanities||Drain her in Undead Parish, after being saved from Tomb of the Giants
May become lost in two different ways; see her page for more details
|Sieglinde of Catarina||10 Humanities||-|
|Siegmeyer of Catarina||4 Humanities||May become lost; see his page for more details|
|Solaire of Astora||5 Humanities||May become lost; see his page for more details|
|Vince of Thorolund
Nico of Thorolund
|May become lost; drain as soon as you meet them at Firelink Shrine|
|Darkmoon Soldiers||6 Humanites (3 each)|
- This weapon cannot be upgraded
- You can use the Dark Hand multiple times without making the NPC hostile, as long as you do no damage (only drain Humanity).
- To absorb humanity from sitting NPCs like Patches at Firelink Shrine, make them stand up by hitting them with very weak attacks (barehanded punch, Pyromancy Flame punch, kicking, using Force, etc.)
- Beware that using the drain attack in tight spaces or with a seated target (or other non-standing posture) does a glowing punch rather than the drain. Ensure ample space or make them stand prior to draining if you wish to keep NPCs non-hostile.
- When equipped as a shield, a right hand catalyst can buff it with Strong Magic Shield for much better stability, but there will be no visual effect. The upside of this is that it can trick players in PVP.