Gwyndolin is Gwyn's youngest child and the only god who still remains in Anor Londo. Born with an affinity of the moon, he was raised as a daughter and has a feminine appearance as a result. He has created an illusion of his sister Gwynevere and all the guardian sentinels in the city's palace. His duty as a god is to execute sinners, and is helped by his followers with the covenant of the Blade of the Darkmoon. He's currently guarding his father's honorary tomb.
You can join the Blade of the Darkmoon covenant by kneeling in the center of the candles near the fog door. If you enter the fog door (trespassing the tomb), his boss battle will commence.
- Other than weapons in Occult upgrade paths, there are also three unique weapons that have Occult property as well, and therefore do bonus damage against Gwyndolin. These weapons are:
- By entering the fog to fight him, you're making him hostile and therefore breaking the Blade of the Darkmoon covenant, although you can request absolution to revert his hostility. When he's hostile:
- You will abandon the covenant if you are currently a member.
- You can't kneel in front of the fog door to access the covenant.
- The Lady of the Darkling becomes hostile too and attacks you on sight.
Upon entering the fog, the corridor stretches far ahead of you. Gwyndolin teleports farther inside throughout the fight. You can actually corner him if he (or you) survive long enough.
- Stretches upwards and shoots a chain of arrows at you. Zigzagging easily avoids this, as does hiding behind the columns.
- Summons many soul arrows/magic missiles to then home in on you. These curve toward the player in mid-flight. Hiding behind pillars will protect you from them.
- Charges up a powerful energy ball and fire it in a straight direction. This ball doesn't curve while in flight and is avoidable, but it's fast. When you see him move his catalyst and blue smoke appears, start zigzagging and get ready to roll. Columns will not protect you alone; as the attack pass straight though them. The ball does a lot of damage.
- Teleports away once you get close to him.
Gwyndolin will teleport away once you get too close, so your aim is to hit him while he's teleporting (preferably after he uses his darts since he has to descend first, giving you more time) or to not get too close.
Dodging and Blocking
Unlike other bosses this is a very simple matter of dodging or blocking purely ranged attacks from a single direction. A shield with 100% physical damage reduction and preferably high magic resist can block his projectiles (although recommend rolling aside from the giant energy ball) allowing you to run up to him with ease.
Dodging is easy enough, hide behind a pillar as he's using his tracking magic ball attacks, roll out for the big energy ball (there is a slightly longer delay as he casts this) and run to the next pillar on the other side of the room. Once he rises for his dart attacks, zigzag to avoid them.
If you keep running up and letting him teleport away you will eventually reach the end of the extended hall, allowing you to attack him at will. Note that he will still attack you so be prepared to dodge. You can watch a video here.
Equip your best weapon, a slow weapon is good with a jumping attack to deal a large amount in one hit, and a light weapon is good to continuously deal damage as long as he is targetable. Under 25% encumbrance is recommended.
Wait until he starts firing darts then run up and attack him. You can watch a video here.
You can use a Greatbow without him attacking you, upon entering the fog gate move forward to at closest 6 pillars away from him and fire away. The Hawk Ring will help deal more damage. For other Bows, Poison Arrows may be necessary. It will take 7-8 shots to poison him and he will require several rounds. Bring lots of arrows.
For any magic, you will need to get closer. You can either get close enough so that he teleports, giving you a few free attacks, or you can sit far back enough that he stays and dodge his attacks. Homing Soulmass is great for getting some extra damage in as you can cast it before you run up to him and he cannot dodge it. You can watch a video here.
All dialogue text is © From Software Inc.
Voiced by: Harry Lister Smith