Gwyndolin is Gwyn's youngest child, and is the only god who still remains in Anor Londo. Born with an affinity of the moon, Gwyndolin was raised as a daughter and has a feminine appearance as a result. Using illusions, Gywndolin created one of Gwynevere and all of the creatures in Anor Londo. Gwyndolin executes sinners, and his followers, the Blades of the Darkmoon. Gwyndolin guards the honorary tomb of his father, and maintains an illusory sunlight over all Anor Londo. If the illusion of Gwynevere is destroyed, the sunlight dispells, leaving Anor Londo in twilight.
You can join the Blade of the Darkmoon covenant by kneeling in the center of the candles near his fog door. If you enter the fog door (thus trespassing the tomb), a boss battle commences.
Behind the illusory wall near the Darkmoon Tomb bonfire in Anor Londo, equip the Darkmoon Seance Ring to make the statue disappear. Alternately, the statue automatically disappears if the illusion of Gwynevere is destroyed.
- Other than weapons in Occult upgrade paths, there are also three unique weapons that have Occult property as well, and therefore do bonus damage against Gwyndolin. These weapons are:
- By entering the fog, you make Gwyndolin hostile and therefore breaking the Blade of the Darkmoon covenant, although you can request absolution to revert hostility. When Gwyndolin is hostile:
- You are kicked out of the covenant if you are currently a member.
- You cannot kneel in front of the fog door to access the covenant.
- The Lady of the Darkling becomes hostile too and attacks you on sight.
Upon entering the fog, the corridor stretches far ahead of you, seemingly infinite owing to an illusion cast by Gwyndolin. In reality, the hallway is not as long. Gwyndolin constantly teleports backwards during the fight, but the hallway does not stretch on forever, and Gwyndolin can be boxed in if the fight goes on long enough.
- Stretches upwards and shoots a chain of arrows at you. Zigzagging easily avoids this, as does hiding behind the columns.
- Summons many soul arrows/magic missiles to then home in on you. These curve toward the player in mid-flight. Hiding behind pillars will protect you from them.
- Charges up a powerful energy ball and fires it in a straight direction. This ball doesn't curve while in flight and is avoidable, but it's fast and not blockable. When you see Gwyndolin's move his catalyst and blue smoke appears, start zigzagging and get ready to roll. Columns will not protect you; the attack passes straight through them. The ball does a lot of damage.
- Gywndolin teleports away once you get close.
Gwyndolin teleports away once you get too close, so you have to him him before that happens (preferably after Gwyndolin uses the darts while levitating and needs to descend, giving you more time) or to not get too close.
Dodging and Blocking
In the tomb, pillars stand on the sides of the hallway. These pillars can shield you from all of Gwyndolin's attacks except for his charged magic attack. Any kind of magic resist helps during this fight i.e. Crest Shield. In fact, the Great Magic Barrier can allow you to take his magic attacks point blank.
Dodging is easy enough. Hide behind a pillar during the tracking magic ball attacks, and roll out for charged magic ball. There is a slight delay that lets you run to the next pillar on the other side of the room. Once Gwyndolin rises to attack with arrows, zigzag to avoid them.
With enough running and Gwyndolin's teleports, you eventually reach the end of the extended hall, allowing you to attack without Gwyndolin running away. Note that Gwyndolin still attacks you so be prepared to dodge. You can watch a video here.
Equip your best weapon, a slow weapon is good with a jumping attack to deal a large amount in one hit, and a light weapon is good to continuously deal damage as long as the boss is targetable. Under 25% encumbrance is recommended.
Wait until Gwyndolin starts firing arrowsthen run up and attack. You can watch a video here.
You can use a Greatbow without any response, upon entering the fog gate move forward to at closest 6 pillars away from Gwyndolin and fire away. The Hawk Ring will help deal more damage. For other Bows, Poison Arrows may be necessary. It will take 7-8 shots to poison him and will require several rounds. Bring lots of arrows.
For any magic, you will need to get closer. You can either get close enough to trigger a teleport, giving you a few free attacks, or you can sit far back enough and dodge attacks. Homing Soulmass is great for getting some extra damage in as you can cast it before you run up and cannot be dodged. You can watch a video here.
All dialogue text is © From Software Inc.
Voiced by: Harry Lister Smith