The Darkroot Basin rests in between the Darkroot Garden and the eastern walls of Undead Burg. This is a deep basin filled with streams and waterfalls. The damp nature has given rise to fungus and mushrooms.
- Tip - The Hydra in the lake is surrounded by a bottomless pit that can be very difficult to see unless you are looking for it. Be sure to make your approach from the left-hand side. If you approach from the rigth side the pit is very close (just a few steps from the shore). If you decide to attack the Hydra from here be careful not to fall down the pit.
- Tip - The Hydra can spot you from a large distance and may began shooting magic attacks. These attacks can either hit you or the Crystal Golems. The player must be quick enough to avoid these attacks in order to get close and face the Hydra.
- Tip - After defeating the Hydra one can go to a cave on the back of the lake. There is a Golden Crystal Golem, a bigger version of the Crystal Golem. It has the same attacks but it has more HP and his attacks cause more damage (If it doesn't appear just quit the game and reload). To make this fight easier equip the Rusted Iron Ring. If the Golem is defeated Dusk of Oolacile shall appear.
- Leaving the blacksmith at Undead Parish, proceed through the chamber where the Prowling Demon had resided to gain entry to the Garden. After killing a couple of Demonic Foliages take a sharp right slightly uphill and enter the Basin. The trail switch back and forth as you continue down the cliff.
- As you approach a cleared area there should be a Crystal Lizard ahead, dispatch it to adquire various stones. Continuing down the path drop onto a ledge to collect Hunter Armor set and the Long Bow. Dropping down again there is a choice of turning right or left.
- Proceeding to the right onto a 'hidden' path you should came upon a Black Knight (Lance). His shield bash can take huge amounts of stamina to block but is possible to defeat him especially with pyromancy. Having dispatched him proceed down to collect the Grass Crest Shield. Another choice is to roll his attacks and completely avoid him since after him there is a cave with a bonfire ahead. Further ahead there is a lift that leads to the Valley of Drakes. Be careful going there since there are some Drakes waiting.
- Going to the left leads to a door that leads to the Undead Burg. To enter you either need to have the Watchtower Basement Key or the Master Key. The door is guarded by Havel The Rock and it may give some troubles to some players. He may be easily defeated using backstabs and parry. Another path is going to the clear area. There are some Crystal Golems at a distance. They may be lured with arrows as is best to figth them one at a time. Also they seem to be more susceptible to lightning then fire or magic. They can be farmed for Blue Titanite Chunks early in the game although the drops are rare. Of course equipping the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring may be helpful.
- As approaching the Hydra from the left as from the right it is quite easy to fall and die in deep water. The Rusted Iron Ring is a must if you wade into the water to attack its heads. It is possible to engage the Hydra without going into the water. If it is approached from the rigth side and standing close to the water, the Hydra attacks with its heads making it possible to hit it. Locking on with various soul arrows proved only moderately successful as they often missed unless the attacking heads got in the way. However it was not totally useless. The water projectiles deliver huge amounts of damage, dodging side to side or backwards and forwards was required until it attacked with its heads. Then it was a matter of attacking the heads, again lightning and pyromancy seem to be very effective. If defeated it drops a Dragon Scale and the Dusk Crown Ring.
- Proceed to the left to find the ladder that takes to the Darkroot Garden and ultimately onto the toughest boss in this area, Grey Wolf Sif. See below for a quick walkthrough on how to go for the boss from this area. Continuing on towards the lake there is a huge cave there. In that cave there should be the Golden Crystal Golem. Again the Rusted Iron Ring is a must to avoid a clobbering. Once defeated he renders up Dusk of Oolacile. If you decide to help her you can summon and she will sell you some spells and a catalyst. Her summoning sign is back on the shore near where Knight Armor set is found. If summoned you can gain her Antiquated gear.
Going to the boss via Basin
- After the Great Feline, follow the cliff edge to a bridge, which will lead you to the boss. To the left of the cliff is a large forested area with a number of Mushroom Parent and Mushroom Child enemies guarding a chest in a small pond. The chest contains the Enchanted Ember. There are two Parents and at least a half dozen Children. The Children here are docile and will not react to you unless you hit them. Thankfully the Parents can be lured away with a bow shot and handled one-on-one. The Parents can hit like a 2-Ton brick and can one-shot many players, so be careful. Even a blocked shot will knock you back and temporarily stun you. Stay out of range of their attacks, they are fairly slow, and dart in for one or two strikes between their swings. Beware that on occasion, they will swing twice in succession, first with the right fist, then the left. If you don't want the Enchanted Ember, or just want to wait, the Mushrooms are easy to skip right by. Since the Mushrooms don't walk that fast, another option is to make them chase you and then walk back to get the ember without actually fighting them.
- On the other side of that forested area is the back side of the Forest Hunter Covenant Castle. The Stone Set of armor can be found along the edge of the cliff next to the back side of the Forest Hunter Covenant Castle. You have to follow a narrow ledge around one side of the building to find the chest it is in.
- If you are challenging Grey Wolf Sif, start from the bonfire in the Darkroot Garden. Unlock the sealed door and you can run through to the edge of the forest. Follow the flowers to the cliff, and you will enter the Basin once you cross over the stream. After defeating Sif, be sure to loot the Hornet Ring. It is on a corpse behind the big pillar at the back.
page revision: 72, last edited: 21 May 2013 12:13