- Starting from the bonfire, head down the stairs, and past Andrei. Head down the next set of stairs, into a large chamber with a Prowling Demon. You may try and fight this Demon a few times, but if you're not ready yet, go ahead and run as quickly as possible to his left. He turns slowly, and should not be able to track you quickly enough to harm you. Exit out the bottom of the room to enter the Darkroot Garden proper. Take note of the glowing flower, as you will encounter many others like it along the way, usually indicating the general paths you can take. The forest, particularly past the sealed door, is a difficult area to navigate, and as such you should be careful on your way.
- Head to your left and walk down the path to encounter your first Demonic Foliage. Head down the path towards the next bit of light. On your right will be a fork, leading down the cliff face to Darkroot Basin. You may proceed this way if you choose. (This route through to the Basin will allow you to gain access to the area behind the Crest locked glowing door, thus saving you 20,000 souls. However you will need to defeat the Hydra to do so)
- Continuing from the fork, head forward slowly, ahead of you is another Demonic Foliage on the edge of a cliff. You can block him and force him over the ledge, but watch out for its grab. Head forward around the corner, and you'll come upon a clearing up ahead. There's another obvious Demonic Foliage in the distance, but look closely, and you'll see another one resting in the group on the right. Proceed forward slowly, and you won't trigger him until you're ready. Once these two are out of the way, look around and take note of the loot on the ledge across the chasm, and another piece behind a rock in this area. Head forward down the path towards the large glowing door. If you purchased the Crest of Artorias from Andre of Astora, you can open it, but the enemies beyond are fairly high level (the Clan of Forest Protectors). Explore the wall to the left of this door, and you'll find a hidden bonfire behind it. Light the bonfire and rest here. If you wish to Kindle it, do so, as you will be revisiting this location frequently in the future for multiple bosses and possibly soul farming.
- Head down the path to the right of the locked door. As you head down, there will be a small cave on your right. This is a trap, with 3 Demonic Foliages laying in ambush around a Soul. While it may be tempting, the annoyance these 3 monster will become is not worth it at all. Leave the soul and continue down the path. The next area introduces another new foe, the Giant Stone Knight. These Knights are slow but powerful, and have a spell that will slow your movement to a crawl. At the bottom of the path, you will have a clearing in front you. There are 5-6 Giant Stone Knight laying in wait here, all but two of whom you should be able to easily challenge one at a time. Here's what's interesting in this area, to go straight to the boss, skip to 7.
- On the far right, you will notice a glow from a corpse. There is a complete set of Elite Knight Set resting behind Two Giant Stone Knights and 4 Demonic Foliages. You can draw them out, but you'll have to handle at least 2 of the Demonic Foliages as well. From the path if you follow along the left wall, you'll see a path leading to some loot. Walk down it slowly, and turn to find a Demonic Foliage has popped up behind you. Once he's done, turn back to the path and you'll see the loot resting at the foot of a not-so-peaceful tree. Lash out and kill the snake lizard on the trunk and collect the Partizan.
- Starting again from the bottom of the path, look to your immediate right to see a tree… breathing. Behind the "tree" is also another creature. Strike out and kill the tree and the creature behind it, opening up another detour. Head down the path here to encounter 1-2 more Stone soldiers and if you move closer to the cliff, several Frog Rays will jump on you. After defeating those enemies collect a soul that is on the left side of the cliff. Then go find a large set of stairs near the Stone soldiers. Dash up the stairs and you'll be able to collect the loot, a Wolf Ring, you observed from across the chasm earlier. Once you've done this head back to the main path, and we'll head towards the boss.
- From the main path, follow the glowing flowers along the left of the area, being careful to keep your distance from the Giant Stone Knights littering the forest on your right. You should see some crumbling ruins, and a doorway behind one of the soldiers. Dash past the soldiers and head into this tower, climbing the flights of stairs to race the fog gate. If you run, you can reach this gate without fighting any of the soldiers along the way. Enter to fight the Moonlight Butterfly.
- After you've finished off the Moonlight Butterfly, head across the top of the wall here and climb the stairs in the tower. There are no enemies to speak of, but at the top you will find Divine Ember along with the Watchtower Basement Key, and a sadly deceased Blacksmith. Once you've collected this, you can proceed to whichever area you like. You can revisit Undead Burg to explore the lower levels, head to the Darkroot Basin, The Catacombs, New Londo Ruins, etc.