These Hollows have a bloated, tumor-like growth on their torso. When you kill them, they explode, splashing toxin on their immediate surroundings, except when you kill them with fire. These enemies come in two varieties, torch-wielding and fire-caster. The fire-caster types will run if you approach them or attempt to engage you in a fistfight.
LocationPainted World of Ariamis
Common enemies throughout the area.
- Torch-wielding: Same attack patterns as the torch-wielding Hollows.
- Fire-caster: Throws a straight fireball not unlike the Necromancer. Note that this fireballs have Magic damage property, instead of Fire.
- Both varieties can spew a purple Toxic gas.
- Both varieties deal AoE Toxic explosion if you kill them without Fire damage. The explosion's Toxic buildup is quite high, it will almost always leave you with Toxic status if you don't specifically equip anti-Poison gear.
- The toxin's HP loss rate is 8 HP/seconds
- Equip high Poison-resistant gear (e.g. Pyromancer Set, Thief Set, Gold-Hemmed Black Set, Poisonbite Ring, etc.). Painting Guardian Set and Bloodshield can be found later on Painted World of Ariamis.
- Bring Blooming Purple Moss Clumps just in case.
- Engage them at range. Shoot them with Arrows or Sorceries.
- Use Fire weapons or Pyromancies to kill them at melee range. (Killing them with fire damage prevents them from emitting the toxic cloud.) You can also save Pyromancy charges by hitting them with your weapon first to chip their HP, then burn them with Pyromancy to kill them.
- Hide behind a 100% Poison resistant shield (e.g. Spider Shield, Crystal Shield, Greatshield of Artorias) then poke them with spears or thrusting swords while keeping the shield up.
- Use Charcoal Pine Resin to temporarily make an enchantable weapon have Fire property.
- Kill them with Backstab. This prevents them from exploding near you.
- Engage them from below on stairs, the toxic explosion is 2 dimensional, if you are sufficiently lower than them in height you will not be poisoned.