The purpose of this covenant is to infect other players' worlds with extra enemies, known as Gravelord Black Phantoms, while also inviting those players to be summoned into the host's world.
This works by enabling the use of the Eye of Death after joining the covenant. Upon use, an Eye of Death will send a Gravelord soul sign to three other players' worlds connected to the host's. A recipient with a Gravelord soul sign will spawn numerous Gravelord Black Phantoms, but only if they are in NG+ or beyond. Those players can then use the soul sign to invade the Gravelord Servant as a Spirit of Vengeance (up to three at a time), with the goal of killing the Gravelord Servant to remove the extra enemies from all affected players' worlds. A weapon and miracles are also available from the covenant.
How to Join
- Have at least one Eye of Death. There are three Eyes of Death near the Prowling Demon in The Catacombs
- Also, near the same Prowling Demon, there's a coffin which can be interacted with. Nestle in the coffin and a cutscene will start after waiting for about 30 seconds1
- After transported to the Tomb of the Giants, look for Gravelord Nito's sarcophagus
- Interact with it to join the covenant
- Lure other players to invade the host's world with the use Eye of Death. This way, the host still has the host advantage (i.e. human form and Estus Flask usage). Check the Eye of Death page on how it works.
- Killing lured player (in the form of blue Spirit of Vengeance) rewards an Eye of Death in addition to souls.
- Strong area-of-effect Magic in the form of the miracles Gravelord Sword Dance and Gravelord Greatsword Dance. These miracles have 0 Faith requirement, so it's also suited for Intelligence-based builds using Velka's Talisman.
Covenant LevelExchange Eye of Death to level up in the covenant.
|Level||Required Eyes of Death||Reward||Gravelord Miracles' strength|
|+0||0||Gravelord Sword, Gravelord Sword Dance||+0|
|+1||10||Gravelord Greatsword Dance||+0.1*MagAdjust|
|+2||30||Increases Gravelord miracles' damage||+0.2*MagAdjust|
|+3||80||Increases Gravelord miracles' damage||+0.3*MagAdjust|
- Gravelord Sword Dance and Gravelord Greatsword Dance will only have 90% damage
- Removal of half of Eyes of Death offerings
- Killing Gravelord Nito will not break the covenant, but there will be no way to level up or join the covenant again for the rest of the current playthrough.
- If the player possesses the Gravelord Sword before joining the covenant (e.g. from another player Online), they will not receive the Gravelord Sword Dance Miracle. To rectify this, quit the covenant and throw away the sword by dropping it and logging off. If this does not work, try again in NG+ for another opportunity to obtain it.
- Hosts are open to invasions from red phantoms (either from the Darkwraith covenant or players using a Cracked Red Eye Orb), and they do not invade via the Gravelord sign and will not drop an Eye of Death upon defeat.
- Hosts can also be invaded by Blades of the Darkmoon. This can be confusing, since they spawn as blue phantoms with the "Spirit of Vengeance" message, just like players who invaded via a Gravelord soul sign, and they cannot harm other blue phantoms. However, they will not drop an Eye of Death if defeated. To prevent Darkmoon Blade invasions, don't get indicted or commit sins.
- When a player's world is infected, black phantom enemies will materialize at that time. Conversely, when the Gravelord Servant is defeated, all black phantom enemies will dissolve, even if engaged.
- Many people will see the message that confirms the defeat of a Gravelord Servant without ever seeing the infection take place or finding a gravelord sign in their world. This is not unusual because the extra phantoms usually do not spawn for infected players until NG+ and higher.
- Eye of Death can be used to infect players in areas where the boss has been defeated, but they cannot invade the host's world unless the boss is present in the host's game