These mysterious creatures reside in the Chasm of the Abyss. Bearing striking resemblance to the Humanity sprite, they float about, doing damage to their enemies by making simple physical contact. They have 3 different sizes: small, medium and large. They are often encountered in groups; they can be lethal if not handled with care, as blocking has no effect.
Chasm of the Abyss
Common enemy in lower area of the chasm
Small Humanity Phantom
Medium Humanity Phantom
Large Humanity Phantom
Their sole attack is very simple. They simply hover on top of you, dealing very rapid magic damage. Not too bad when there's just one of them, but can kill you very quickly in groups. Also wreaks havoc with lock-on as they can rapidly pass through you, causing your camera to follow them.
These ghastly creatures drop very little souls but can drop both Humanity and Twin Humanities at a rather high rate, making them very useful for farming. The drop rate seems to be far better for humanity farming than the previous best, Skeleton Babies, and the proximity of the area to a warping bonfire makes them a very ideal choice if Humanity is needed fast.
This strategy takes around 4 minutes per run (and that's being cautious) and nets an average of 5-7 humanities with the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring alone (no soft humanity bonus). Total of 12 smalls, 11 mids, 4 larges per run.
- Start out at the bonfire near the entrance to the Chasm of the Abyss.
- From the bonfire, head into the Chasm and go left.
- Stick to the edge until you go down an incline and come to an area with a Bloathead to your right. Dispatch the Bloathead or it'll follow you.
- Then carry on down the narrow path until the empty space to the left turns into a wall. Drop down just before this wall and you'll land on solid ground (warning: this fall can deal a bit of damage).
- Head through the cavern, killing the mid on the right as you go.
- You'll arrive in a wide open area with 2 mids and 1 large. Kill them all.
- Then, facing the cavern you arrived through, there will be a path on the left. Head down this path and when you get to the intersection where you can either go up or down, go down. This area has 1 small, 3 mids, and 3 larges.
- Once you've churned through them, head back to the intersection and this time do an about-face and go up.
- You'll soon arrive at a ledge with a Bloathead Sorcerer. Deal with it and drop down to the area below.
- Be careful here as there are 11 smalls and 6 mids, and such a large number can quickly kill you if you charge into the middle.
- Once you've killed them all and collected all the souls, head back up the narrow incline to the right of the area (the same one you jumped off earlier), all the way back to the bonfire.
- Rinse and repeat.