A knight from Carim and a devout of the goddess Fina. His love for Fina makes him a psychopath who doesn't care about other people and readily kills them after they served their purposes.
Locked in a cell located on the upper floor of the church. Before climbing the ladder that leads to the Belfry Gargoyles, continue counter-clockwise around the top floor. After fighting a Balder Knight, there is a broken door that can be smashed, revealing a staircase. Go up the stairs to find Lautrec's cell. The cell can be opened using the Mystery Key or a Master Key. This encounter is optional.
Sitting opposite of Anastacia of Astora. He'll appear in Firelink Shrine either after you release him from his cell in Undead Parish, or after you beat the Bell Gargoyles. He seems to disappear and re-appear at random times before finally moving on to Anor Londo.
- After setting him free, talk to him in Firelink Shrine, and he will reward you with a Sunlight Medal.
- If you set him free and talk to him afterwards, you will be able to summon him to help with the Bell Gargoyles and the Gaping Dragon. Find his soul sign near each boss' fog door.
- During his stay in Firelink Shrine, he will offer a tip at the cost of 100 souls per soul level.
- For his "tip" he tells you that Lady Thorolund went into The Catacombs, but was stranded and separated from her followers. She is now alone in The Catacombs.
- If you decline his offer of intelligence (his tip), he stops offering the information.
- Once you kill the Gaping Dragon, he will no longer offer this tip, and will instead only mention moving on.
- To trigger the dialogue where he offers his tip: 1) Kill the Capra Demon - this will trigger Rhea and her companions to arrive at Firelink Shrine. 2) Talk to Petrus (talking to the other three is optional). 3) Let the area reset either by going somewhere else and resting at bonfires for some time, or by quitting the game and reloading a few times (the four of them will disappear since they are supposed to go down into the Catacombs), until Petrus reappears at his original location. 4) Talk to Lautrec.
- 5 Humanity
- Ring of Favor and Protection
- Fire Keeper Soul (Anastacia of Astora) - only after you kill him in Anor Londo
- 10 additional Humanity with Dark Hand
- He will kill Anastacia of Astora either after you ring both Bells of Awakening, or after you pick up both Fire Keeper Souls from Undead Parish and Blighttown, whichever you do first. He will kill Anastacia even if he hasn't moved to Firelink Shrine. This will not happen if you kill him first, of course.
- Once defeated in his world in Anor Londo, his corpse (containing Set of Favor) can be found on the second floor of Ornstein and Smough's boss room. Also, he will drop a unique Fire Keeper Soul that can be used to revive Anastacia. Check Anastacia's page for more details.
- If you kill Lautrec without opening his cell door, he will drop the ring and humanity, but the door will no longer be able to be opened. You will not be able to receive the loot.
- Refer to the Use section for information on how to trigger him to offer his tip.
Before he kills Anastacia of Astora
- At Undead Parish - Lure him into Andre of Astora's building (clear the enemies on the way first) and avoid his attacks - DO NOT BLOCK - Eventually he will start walking back to his cell, you can attack him as he is walking. Note this is a risky and slow method as opposed to waiting.
- At Firelink Shrine - Kick him twice to knock him off the edge to his death. If you quit and reload, or come back later, his drops will appear where he was sitting.
- Of course he can be killed as standard in either location but at low levels he is a tough opponent.
Finding Lautrec in Anor Londo
After ringing the second Bell of Awakening, check Anastacia's cell to get the Black Eye Orb. When you enter the chamber containing the two Royal Sentinels before the boss room, you will get a message saying the Black Eye Orb is quivering. Simply use the item and you will invade his world where you will find him with his guards.
You do not need to clear the room first, it does not matter if the boss has been defeated, and regardless of the outcome you will simply return to where you used the Black Eye Orb with nothing lost. You can try as many times as necessary.
Dodging and Blocking
Lautrec's attacks will bypass your shield so there is almost no point in blocking him. Roll back from his attacks and otherwise avoid them as much as possible. Alternatively equip a very high resist armour, perhaps Iron Flesh, and just tank him.
Be careful of his guards, you do not have to kill them but doing so can make the fight a bit easier. As you cannot block, it is wise to two-hand a long range weapon such as a Spear or Halberd, get an attack in and roll back before he gets you into range.
A Zweihander's heavy attack can be used to kite him, using the stairs with this method will reduce the risk of his guards attacking you from the side.
Note if he equips his Parrying Dagger in his left hand and holds it up, he will attempt to parry you should you attack him.
If you have not taken out his guards with a bow (below) then eliminating at least the sorcerer should be relatively easy and then you won't have to worry about projectiles chasing you. He does not have a melee weapon so cannot retaliate, just be mindful of where Lautrec and the other guard are.
The spear-wielder is a typical enemy with a spear. Dispatch as you would a normal hollow (albeit one with a lot of health).
You can circle around Lautrec as he attacks for a backstab, but this is tricky as holding your shield up will be ineffective.
It's possible to get Lautrec stuck between the lever of the main door and the wall. The lever is located at the end of the room by Lautrec. Lure him into this area and he should remain stuck running face-first into the wall. He has to go fairly deep into the space for it to work. Roll out and deal with the other two so they don't stab you in the back, then finish him. This is easiest if you lure all three to you, then run over to the door. Lautrec is faster so will reach you before the other two.
You can also get him to aggro the Sentinels outside. Get his attention, run up to the broken window at the top of the stairs, and jump out. He will be unable to follow you so will run outside and get himself killed.
If you lure them up the stairs and then stand on the stairs (with them now above you) most of their attacks will miss, allowing for an easy kill.
The trio will not respond if you do not move from your starting position, even if you shoot them. Use Dragonslayer Arrows or Poison Arrows (cheaper) with an appropriate bow for either for a very easy fight. You can kill Lautrec immediately (the other two can be ignored) or kill off his guards for a 1-on-1.
With the Soul Spear sorcery, you can lure them onto the stairs on either side of the room and hit all three with one shot.
All dialogue text is © From Software Inc.