The lost city of Izalith was a once proud place with Dravidian themed architectures and temples inside a huge cave, but has long been flooded with lava and its ruins are guarded by Bounding Demon of Izalith. It's a nasty place that can only be walked with the Orange Charred Ring (or appropriate spells).
Connects from the Demon Ruins
- You can't access the area boss before the orange fog has been lifted by placing the Lordvessel.
- There are two bonfires in this area - one below the first floor of the ruins where you fight seven Minor Capra Demons, and a second one hidden behind an illusory wall in the base of the second black tower.
- Equip the Orange Charred Ring, because this area will require you to mainly travel across lava.
- Have your armor fully repaired, or otherwise wear armor with a high durability. The constant walking through lava runs down your armor very fast. A Repairbox is recommended!
- The huge Bounding Demon of Izalith in this area do not respawn. They will completely ignore you if you do not get too close.
- There is a treasure chest inside the first black tower, also behind an illusory wall. This is also a good spot to drag the Bounding Demon of Izalith to, because they can't enter and can be killed off with ranged attacks from this safe spot. Note: they can sometimes sweep their legs in and the only safe zone is against the back wall of the tower.
- Some of the bounding demons can be sniped with arrows from the shortcut passage after you kill the prowling demon on it. Using a Hawk Ring is recommended.
- Solaire of Astora - will appear at the first bonfire when you enter the area from the centipede battle provided you have followed his story so far.
- Siegmeyer of Catarina - in front of the pit of Chaos Eaters, under the floor that gives way, provided you have followed his story so far.
Shortcut to Lost Izalith from Demon Ruins
You'll find the shortcut to Lost Izalith in Demon Ruins just outside the room where you fought the Demon Firesage boss. As you face that room, look to the right, and you'll see a hole in the wall. Use the tree roots to reach the ground floor and then go to the end of the long hall where you'll find a locked door.
To unlock that door from Demon Ruins, join the Covenant of the Chaos Servant and level that Covenant to +2 rank. That will require 30 Humanity to raise the Covenant that high. After you raise the Covenant to +2, then you can touch the locked door and it will open. Using this shortcut makes the Demon Firesage and Centipede Demon optional. However, you don't need to be in the convenant to open the door from Lost Izalith, if you get past the Titanite Demon, so the only reason to join the Chaos Servant convenant is to open the door sooner or to complete the saving Solaire quest (however, this can also be done without joining the covenant, check Solaire of Astora page for more details).
However, the circular area in the cavern beyond Quelaag's Domain adjacent to the Quelaag's Sister area will unlock as an elevator after defeating the Demon Firesage. It descends to the stairway area connected to Centipede's lair and with a short drop to Firesage's lair, providing inside access to the whole Demon Ruins as well as a key short cut to Izalith. This makes backtracking with the Orange Charred Ring to get the Chaos Flame Ember convenient and returning to the area is a breeze with the warp attached to this covenant.