In Game Description
This universal key opens any basic lock.
Tool of the trade for thieves.
But in the cursed land of the Undead,
most doors are better left unopened.
- The starting item for the Thief class
- Available as a starting gift for any other class
- Sold by Domhnall of Zena for 5,000 souls, once he relocates to Firelink Shrine
|Undead Burg||Door behind three Hollow Warriors atop the stairs past the bridge with the firebombing Hollow Warriors.||Residence Key||Leads to a chest with 3 Gold Pine Resin.|
|Undead Burg||After climbing the stairs to the tower leading to the Taurus Demon, go straight through the door opposite||Watchtower Basement Key||Leads down to hostile NPC Havel the Rock.
Door behind Havel opens to the bottom of Darkroot Basin where the Crystal Golems are.
|Undead Parish||Lautrec's cell.||Mystery Key||Only useful if the player sequence breaks by using the Valley of Drakes shortcut, since the Mystery Key is found along the path to Undead Parish.|
|Depths||Opens the door to the only bonfire in the area.||Sewer Chamber Key||Early access to the bonfire if the player doesn't drop down the chute to the Giant Undead Rat.|
|Sen's Fortress||Opens the cages in the hidden area behind the sleeping Serpent Soldier||Cage Key||Early access to Big Hat Logan.|
|New Londo Ruins||Opens the door to the Valley of Drakes.||Key to New Londo Ruins||Early access to Astora's Straight Sword and Dragon Crest Shield.
This particular shortcut enables massive sequence breaking (see below)
New Game Plus
Once the player acquires this key, it remains with them when even after entering NG+
- Even though the Master Key can open the door leading to the 3 Gold Pine Resins, it can't open the door where Griggs is trapped in the same area
- While having this key can make some situations easier for a first time player, it can potentially make others much harder at times (as they may enter areas where game natural game progression would not take them yet). For a more natural progression and generally developer-intended experience, it is not recommended for first-time players to choose the Master Key as their starting gift.
The Valley of Drakes shortcut is not only the first door that can be opened with the Master Key, it's also the most important. It enables the player to sequence break, gaining useful loot and making several areas (and its bosses) optional.
- Blighttown's poison swamp is available from the start, by taking the first small bridge in the Valley of Drakes and turning right into the green hued tunnel
- This makes Lower Undead Burg, the Depths, and more than half of Blighttown optional
- Early access to Shiva of the East as a vendor for Forest Hunter Covenant members (see below)
- The second Bell of Awakening can be rung before the first by killing Chaos Witch Quelaag - this grants early access to the first half of Demon Ruins, the Chaos Servant Covenant, and Eingyi (and possibly his Pyromancies)
- Easy access to Large and Green Titanite Shards farming spots, by killing the Giant Leeches in the swamp area of lower Blighttown
- Early access to the Great Hollow and Ash Lake, potentially farming Twinkling Titanites from the Man-Eater Shells there
- Darkroot Basin is immediately accessible by running past the Undead Dragon and two Drakes, then entering the elevator
- On the way out of the tunnel past the Bonfire, grab the Grass Crest Shield but be wary of the Black Knight above
- Killing the Hydra enables access to Dusk of Oolacile and gear tha benefits low-Intelligence players by increasing their damage output (see Crown of Dusk and Oolacile Ivory Catalyst)
- The ladder next to the Hydra and waterfall allows access to the 2nd half of Darkroot Garden without the Crest of Artorias (costs 20,000 souls)
- This also enables access to the Enchanted Ember, as well as allowing to the Forest Hunter covenant (needed for Shiva of the East, see above)
- Killing Sif, the Great Grey Wolf at this point gives enables the player to take on the Four Kings early. New Londo Ruins can be accessed straight from Firelink Shrine, however since Ingward only gives the Key to the Seal once the player has acquired the Lordvessel, he'll need to be killed (he drops it upon death)
- To farm the Clan of Forest Protectors efficiently, purchase the Crest of Artorias anyway from Andre and kindle the fire past the Illusory Wall next to the gate
- Easy access to the tower that holds Havel the Rock (Poison Mist, found in the swamp of Blighttown can be used through the closed door where he stands to cheese him) - the watchtower door can then be opened safely with the Master Key
- Undead Parish can be accessed before the Undead Burg by climbing the hill above the Black Knight in Darkroot Basin, which connects to Darkroot Garden, near the old church building where Andre of Astora is found
- This makes Undead Burg and the majority of the Undead Parish optional, and early access to Undead Asylum as soon as the player activates the elevator shortcut back to Firelink Shrine
- From the Undead Parish, the Altar of Sunlight can be easily reached since the Hellkite Dragon will not spawn unless the player passes through the small bridge at the beginning of Undead Burg (where he initially shows himself)
- The Catacombs can be conquered with Astora's Straight Sword found next to the Undead Dragon in the Valley of Drakes, or other Divine weapons could be crafted with Andre, after the Divine Ember is acquired by killing the Moonlight Butterfly.