In Game Description
This universal key opens any basic lock.
Tool of the trade for thieves.
But in the cursed land of the Undead,
most doors are better left unopened.
- The starting item for the Thief class
- Available as a starting gift for any other class
- Sold by Domhnall of Zena for 5,000 souls, once he relocates to Firelink Shrine
|Undead Burg||Door behind three Hollow Warriors atop the stairs past the bridge with the firebombing Hollow Warriors.||Residence Key||Leads to a chest with 3 Gold Pine Resin.|
|Undead Burg||After climbing the stairs to the tower leading to the Taurus Demon, go straight through the door opposite the path you came||Watchtower Basement Key||Leads down to hostile NPC Havel the Rock.
Door behind Havel opens to the bottom of Darkroot Basin where the Crystal Golems are.
|Undead Parish||Lautrec's cell.||Mystery Key||Only useful if you sequence break by using the Valley of Drakes shortcut, because the Mystery Key is found along the path to Undead Parish.|
|Depths||Opens the door to the only bonfire in the area.||Sewer Chamber Key||Early access to the bonfire if you don't drop down the chute to the Giant Rat.|
|Sen's Fortress||Opens the cages in the hidden area behind the sleeping Serpent Soldier||Cage Key||Early access to Big Hat Logan.|
|New Londo Ruins||Opens the door to the Valley of Drakes.||Key to New Londo Ruins||Early access to Astora's Straight Sword and Dragon Crest Shield.
This particular shortcut enables massive sequence breaking (see below)
New Game Plus
Once you have this key, it remains with you when you enter NG+
- Even though the Master Key can open the door leading to the 3 Gold Pine Resins, it can't open the door where Griggs is trapped.
- Having this key for your first run through of the game can make some situations easier but keep in mind that there are still a number of Special Keys still required for access to all areas.
The Valley of Drakes shortcut is not only the first door that can be opened with the Master Key, it's also the most important. It enables you to sequence break, gaining useful loots and making several areas (and its bosses) optional.
- You can go to Blighttown's poison swamp, by taking the first small bridge in the Valley of Drakes and turning right into the green hued tunnel.
- This makes Lower Undead Burg, the Depths, and more than half of Blighttown optional.
- Early access to Shiva of the East as a vendor if you joined Forest Hunter covenant (see below).
- You can ring the second Bell of Awakening before the first, by killing Chaos Witch Quelaag. This grants access to the first half of Demon Ruins, the Chaos Servant covenant, and Eingyi.
- You can farm Large and Green Titanite Shards earlier, by killing the Giant Leeches there.
- Early access to the Great Hollow and Ash Lake, potentially farming Twinkling Titanites from the Man-Eater Shells there.
- You can go to Darkroot Basin, by running past the Undead Dragon and two Drakes, then entering the elevator.
- On your way out of the tunnel past the Bonfire, grab the Grass Crest Shield but be wary of the Black Knight above.
- You can kill the Hydra, gaining access to Dusk of Oolacile earlier. This way, for example, you can get high magic damage with low INT by the means of Crown of Dusk and Oolacile Ivory Catalyst.
- Killing the Hydra lets you climb the ladder next to the waterfall and gain access to the 2nd half of Darkroot Garden without the Crest of Artorias, saving you 20,000 souls.
- To farm the Clan of Forest Protectors efficiently, purchase the Crest of Artorias anyway from Andre and kindle the fire past the Illusory Wall next to the gate.
- You can kill Havel the Rock earlier (for example, by using the Poison Mist you found in the swamp of Blighttown through the closed door where he stands). The watchtower door can then be opened safely with the Master Key.
- You can get to Undead Parish before the Undead Burg by climbing the hill above the Black Knight in Darkroot Basin, which connects to Darkroot Garden, near the old church building where Andre of Astora sets up base.
- This makes Undead Burg and more than 80% of Undead Parish optional, and early access to Undead Asylum as soon as you activate the shortcut to Firelink Shrine.
- From the Undead Parish, you can easily access the Altar of Sunlight, since the Hellkite Dragon will not spawn unless you're standing on the small bridge at the beginning of Undead Burg (where he initially shows himself).
- The Catacombs can be conquered with Astora's Straight Sword found next to the Undead Dragon in the Valley of Drakes, or other Divine weapons could be crafted with Andre, after you fetch him the Divine Ember by killing the Moonlight Butterfly.