Players who can Overkill an enemy will gain a bonus of 20% souls, making farming weaker enemies more profitable. Overkill is signified by a somewhat longer "soul absorb" animation and sharper SFX.
You must be able to do greater than 150% of the target's max HP in one attack.
- Doesn't matter if the target has full health or not. (e.g. you damaged an enemy for half its HP, then do a riposte, and you'll still get the overkill bonus).
- Damage must be done in a single hit. Riposte and backstab counts as single hit, even though certain weapons have 2 or 3 damage stages.
Kills that do not count as overkill:
- Combos don't count as a single hit. This includes Homing Soulmass-type spells.
- Poisoning and Toxic effects can't trigger overkill.
- Fall damage (kicking enemies off cliff) can't trigger overkill.
Tips to Achieve Overkill
Apart from being overpowered, a few examples:
- Headshot. Extra 20% damage and staggers enemy. Works on most humanoid enemies. Signified by a sharp sound and a fountain of blood gushing out.
- In order to maximize soul gain, equip Covetous Silver Serpent Ring and, if you are fine with the side-effect, Symbol of Avarice, for a total of 173% soul gain.
- Item drop rate doesn't seem to increase on Overkill.
- Overkill is unachieveable on bosses.
- Overkill exists in Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Dark Souls 3, but not in Dark Souls 2.