|Crossbreed Priscilla (Area-Boss)
Red Sign Soapstone
Painting Guardian Set
Miracle: Vow of Silence
Pyromancy: Acid Surge
Pyromancy: Fire Surge
|Black Phantom Xanthous King Jeremiah
The painted world is a cold, snowy world that exists within a painting. It is the home of Priscilla, the dragon-human cross-breed. As a strange hybrid she had no place in the real world, and after clutching her Peculiar Doll for comfort she was somehow drawn into a painting. The painted world can only be entered by player characters who possess the Peculiar Doll.
- To access this area, you'll need the Peculiar Doll. With that, you will be able to enter the very large painting in Anor Londo. The Doll is in the cell where the game started, in Undead Asylum.
- Once you enter the painting, you are unable to leave easily. At a minimum you must access and activate a mechanism in the basement to open the path to the boss, and then navigate a gauntlet of enemies on the way there. So, plan to rest at the bonfire at the start and stay a while and explore. Even if you have the Lordvessel it is not possible to warp back.
- Once you do get there, the boss, Crossbreed Priscilla is an optional fight. You can talk to her, and she'll ask you to leave her world in peace. If you hit her, the fight begins. If you don't want to fight her, just approach the edge of the path behind her and a cutscene will start. You can return here to fight her later if you want.
- The Phalanx respawn and are great for farming souls. See Soul Farming for more details.
- Use weapons upgraded with fire or use Charcoal Pine Resin. Most enemies are vulnerable to fire and using fire-based weapons prevents the Engorged Zombie from releasing their toxic cloud upon death.
- To get the Dried Finger: When you first enter the painted world, you can't go in the main door, to the right of it is a stairwell up, when you come to the top you will be under fire from an archer further up the stairwell, and there are other Hollows and a few Engorged Zombies behind him. You can take an immediate left when you first start getting shot at to another stairway that leads to the roof of a tower where you find a Soul of a Proud Knight on a corpse. Looting it will attract two Crow Demons to attack you, and finally after handling them you can drop off the side of the tower to a balcony where the Dried Finger is located.
- If your character is faith based and you want to upgrade the Blade of the Darkmoon covenant's rank, you can farm Souvenirs of Reprisal by killing Crow Demons here. You will need at least 10 Souvenirs of Reprisal for the Darkmoon Blade miracle, and additional 20 (for a total of 30 Souvenirs of Reprisal) for maximum boost from the miracle.
Check their pages for more details and strategies.
- NPC Black Phantom Xanthous King Jeremiah: When in human form and before killing the boss he will appear in the far right of the area (go through the double door shortcut and turn right in the area with many impaled bodies). Run along the length of the outer edge and he will appear.
- Hollow: Sword-wielding and archer variation. They're the basic enemy in this area. Some can be found hanging on the railing, waiting to ambush you.
- Engorged Zombie: Enemy exclusive to this area. Most of them can be found mixed with the Hollow enemies. One of them (that's quite hidden) carries the Fire Surge Pyromancy.
- Skeleton Wheel: Six of them are located in the dim basement/cellar area accessible from the NE passage in the courtyard.
- Crow Demon: Enemy exclusive to this area. Can be found in rooftops and the central spiral stair. The ones who perch on rooftops can get down to engage you when you're on a bridge or rooftop.
- Phalanx: Enemy exclusive to this area. Once you get close to the statue in the courtyard, the huge flesh monument will dissolve into many Phalanxes.
- Snow Rat: Enemy exclusive to this area. Found in building basements, usually in groups of two. You'll hear their grunting a lot through this level.
- Heavy Knight (sword): Guards the bridge to the boss arena. This one will always drop a Large Titanite Shard.
- The route through this level involves going up the stairs of the castle, fighting your way through a variety of Engorged Zombies and Hollows. Right at the beginning of the level, before you go up the stairs of the first building, look up to see a corpse suspended by rope. Shoot the rope with a bow and it will drop down, containing a Humanity.
- There are several rooms along the first staircase to explore for loot and monsters, so feel free to root around the initial building (a couple of Snow Rats), and the building you get to after the bridge (with several Engorged Zombie, some fall from their places on balconies so watch your head, and three Hollows in the landing to the right.) There's nothing of note apart from some Humanity and souls. There is the Painting Guardian Set if you go to the attic of the second building with all the Engorged Zombies, leap across to the far balcony and down a ladder. You have to fight two Snow Rats and the set is in a chest. Once you have cleared the building, keep going until you reach a large circular tower.
- Before you enter, you might consider falling off to the right to get into an area with a soul. You can then fall again to the right (from where you fell off initially) to get back to the path through this level.
- The circular tower is the central hub of this fairly small level, and is guarded by two Crow Demons at the top of the spiral staircase, who are extremely dangerous and a few more that will assault you while you are moving around it. See their page for how to deal with them.
- About halfway around this central hub, to your left you will see a long bridge upon which an Undead Dragon will awaken when you're near it. To your right (towards the beginning of the level), you will see stairs going down and a white light. If you can, go ahead and deal with the Undead Dragon now to get the loot on the bridge (a Dragon Scale and the Bloodshield).
- Through the white light at the base of the central tower is the Phalanx. Just take your time, use a shield and spear, and if you're having trouble, head to the chapel area to the left (as you first enter the courtyard through the white light). The Phalanx cannot follow you there. Remember to only hit the sides and back of the Phalanx enemies; if you hit their shield you will go into a parried animation. Although they don't use the opening well, there are enough of them that it's likely one of them will happen to be attacking at the time and damage you. From this courtyard you can go several places. (Side note: if you have relatively high vitality, you can actually reach this courtyard almost immediately by jumping off the first bridge you encounter in this level.)
- The first thing you should do is open the large double doors to your north which lead back to the very beginning of the level.
- To your north-west (when entering the area through the white light) there is a wide open area covered in impaled corpses and crows. There are several torch-wielding Hollows here; be sure to proceed with care as one of them has a nasty tendency of ambushing you from behind. There are a few good Souls here as well as the Acid Surge Pyromancy tucked away on the right behind an outcrop. This is where Xanthous King Jeremiah will spawn if you're Human.
- a) To your north-east (again, when entering the courtyard) is a well. Go down the well to find a small labyrinth of narrow, dark tunnels occupied by Skeleton Wheels. Exercise care, because being attacked by a Skeleton Wheel from behind is usually fatal. From the ladder, walk slowly down the hallway. At the first intersection, there is a Skeleton Wheel to the right and a quick dead end. The left corridor ends at a junction. Straight ahead at the junction is an illusory wall, past which is another Skeleton Wheel and the Annex Key for the chapel area. Left at the junction leads to more corridors and loot Right leads to another illusory wall, behind which is a large chamber filled with Skeleton Wheels. A safer way into this chamber is to return to the central courtyard.
b) To the right of the door to the bonfire (as seen from the central statue) are some stairs. These lead to a ladder down to a chamber containing about half a dozen Skeleton Wheels. At the far end of the chamber is a light coming through the roof and illuminating a skeleton and some loot. There is a wheel on the closest pillar to this skeleton which opens the door in the central tower above. This room is exceptionally dangerous, since being attacked by multiple Skeleton Wheels at once is very hard to survive. Lure the skeletons back to the entrance one at a time. Alternatively, the Hidden Body sorcery or the Ring of Fog will let you eliminate the skeletons before they attack you.
- Before finishing the level (by killing the boss or not), you should definitely explore the annex area. the door is behind the chapel altar, and leads to a long passage with a Engorged Zombie at the end and a left turn early on. The left turn leads you up round the outside of a tower, at the top of which is some good loot and two Crow Demons. Stay on the staircase and kite them out, and they'll usually fly right off the tower. As you enter the area they were standing in, a couple more will appear; repeat the same tactic. Don't be tempted to jump down the big hole in the middle. Loot the area thoroughly for Black Cleric Armor Set, Velka's Rapier, Vow of Silence Miracle and the Dark Ember. Nothing is particularly hidden. Leave for the boss.
- The bridge leading to Crossbreed Priscilla contains several Hollow archers and sword-wielders, including four who will emerge from behind the ledges as you approach the Heavy Knight at the end. Dispatch them and the Heavy Knight (you should know how by now, although the relatively tight quarters can give mobile types some trouble).
Accessing the Annex without Annex Key
There are a couple of ways can get to the annex before acquiring the key.
- At the spiral staircase on the outside of the structure, before you drop down for the item on the corpse in the corner, you'll see the ledge with another corpse that has the Black Set. If run along side you can make it to the second ledge and jump off that.
- Near the start of the level, before you open the front door shortcut, you meet your first two Engorged Zombies. Just after them, there is a long bridge and a ruined patio to the right with a Hollow archer and two more Hollows who climb over the wall to surprise you. From that patio, you can reach the long open-roofed path towards the annex by a jump to the far side of the ruined wall to the right side of the doorway below. If you miss the jump too far you fall into the main courtyard with the statue and Phalanx. If you miss to the left or too short you will fall into the rooms below, from where you can climb back up two ladders and get back to the patio to try again (watch out for the Engorged Zombie as you return to the top).
- Ariamis is not the name of the painted world, it is the name of the artist who created it. When the player is killed by Crossbreed Priscilla, she sometimes says something like "don't you understand why Ariamis created this world?".
- You can exit the Painted World of Ariamis without having to use the tumbler in the basement, by exploiting the Undead Dragon glitch. To do this, go to the Undead Dragon, who can be located on the bridge. Kill it, and there will be half of it lying on the bridge, blocking your way. Attack the lower half of the dragon with a jump attack (forward+strong attack) to make the lower body to stand, gaining the access to the bridge below. The Heavy Knight will not spawn unless you decide to backtrack to where the hollows ambush you. The hollows will still be in their stations.