- It is possible to skip Pinwheel by using an exploit:
- Enter the coffin which brings you to the Gravelord Servant covenant.
- From there, use a Homeward Bone.
- Quit the game during the loading screen.
- If you load that character, you should end up right at the beginning of Tomb of the Giants.
- From there, you can turn around and fight Pinwheel, or simply continue down the Tomb of the Giants.
- Fireball - The lanterns hanging around him start glowing and he summons a fireball, launching it at the player after a short delay.
- Clone - Creates clones of himself that can only cast fireballs. They dispell from any hit but still deal damage. Typically casts this at the start of the fight, spawning more as the fight progresses.
Pinwheel barely has more health than the enemies you fought through to get to him, but his damage potential is very high if his clones are allowed to attack. Either burst him down or take care of the clones before they can charge up their own fireballs.
Dodging and Blocking
They only have one attack, throwing fireballs at you. A single fireball shouldn't be too hard to survive but simultaneous hits from clones can instantly kill even high level players. They can be blocked easily enough, provided there are no clones behind you, or rolled away from as they do not track.
Hit Pinwheel with your strongest attack. His health is nothing compared to other bosses and even many standard enemies throughout the game, and his poise is low.
Melee builds should run up with a running attack and be able to kill him before he gets an attack off (although he may have summoned clones, watch for their attacks as they can kill you even after Pinwheel dies).
Ranged builds should just lock on and fire away. Pinwheel has a single attack with a long cast time so should be taken down very quickly with any spells.
Paladin Leeroy can kill Pinwheel in just a few hits provided you take care of the clones first, this is recommended if you wish to kill Pinwheel immediately after reaching Firelink Shrine, or he can deal with the clones while you hit Pinwheel. The fight is not difficult but he does make it easier. If you want him to join the fight immediately you will need to take care of the Skeleton Wheels outside or he will be distracted by them for a short time.