A chimeric demon resembling a manticore. It guards the Oolacile Sanctuary from invaders utilizing lightning powers and its own various body parts. The first enemy encountered in the Additional Content.
Just after the first bonfire.
Possesses high Lightning and Magic Resistance.
- Lightning blasts - Fires lightning shots in three manners (as the arena is filled with shallow water, all lightning that hits the ground will have an area of effect):
- One single, large blast from a ground position.
- One single, large blast whilst flying either directly overhead or strafing in the air.
- Four smaller consecutive blasts from a ground position.
- Poisonous tail swipe.
- Melee flurry - Short distance melee attacks. Up to four consecutively.
- Back kick - Kicks with his hind legs if the player is positioned behind him.
- A single, powerful melee attack straight ahead.
- Flies directly towards the player.
- Pounces right on you, then jumps back.
- Shockwave - Rears onto his hind legs and slams into the ground before releasing a single wave of energy travelling forward along the ground, depleting stamina if your shield is raised (if the Guardian successfully breaks your character's guard with this attack expect a followup charge and headbutt from the Guardian).
Weapons that cause bleeding seem to work well. Give yourself room to move and heal, and get the occasional hit in. Learn all of his attack patterns.
Equip - Any upgraded weapon that can land quick hits (ie. Uchigatana) and any shield with good stability, physical resistance and decent lightning resistance (ie. Silver Knight Shield). The Cloranthy Ring is useful to speed up stamina recharge.
Dodge his lightning blasts (sometimes 3-4 times in a row). Stay close and block most of his physical attacks. The safest moment to attack and land a few strikes without having to fear immediate retaliation is after dodging his shockwave attack. Only attack once or twice and then retreat. Two-handing your weapon might be advantageous - if your weapon is powerful enough, you can stun him with a few hits, allowing time for an extra hit and a moment to retreat.
Be wary of attacking him from behind since he can kick with his hind legs and put his poisonous tail to use, which will penetrate most shields.
Iron Flesh Melee
Cast Iron Flesh in the first few seconds of the fight and get your shield up. When he gets close, switch to two-handed and start attacking. Keep wailing on the boss until Iron Flesh runs out. Repeat.
Pyromancy with fire-based weapon
Equip - Fire Uchigatana or Fire Claymore. Fully upgraded Pyromancy Flame and Great Combustion. Eagle Shield or Silver Knight Shield. Havel's Ring and Thunder Stoneplate Ring. Painting Guardian Set for lightning protection and light weight.
Use Great Combustion on the guardian to burn off most of its life. Finish up with melee.
Cutting The Tail
- Once in a while (could be very long while) the Guardian will fly high up, then drop down towards you for a powerful melee attack. When the Guardian drops down, roll left and it will miss, that gives you a chance to rush up and attack the tail. You will most likely land one attack on the tail (Great Combustion will help shorten the fight).
- Be careful not to dodge too early; the Guardian spends a good while gaining elevation before diving. If you dodgeroll too early, he will simply dive into your dodgeroll destination.
- He may also charge in and attempt to gore you for a powerful melee attack (be careful not to mistake this for his quick headbutt). Roll out of the way and attack his tail.
- Trying to cut the tail after dodging his attack can be frustrating with melee, using strong ranged or magic attacks can cut his tail even if he doesn't lower it. Wait until he uses the shockwave attack and run to his side, do not use lock on and point your camera manually at his tail. I managed to cut his tail off this way with 1 crystal soul spear on new game.
- If you missed the tail the first time and are struggling with the two Sanctuary Guardians, you can cut their tails by shooting them with a bow from the tunnel near the Sanctuary Garden bonfire, in relative safety.
- Video to illustrate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-U-O6Llww0