Solaire of Astora is a Knight of the Sun who will help the player in many different areas. He is a cheerful and powerful knight who does not let the crumbling world affect his mood. He speaks of willingly becoming an Undead so that he could search for his own sun. He may or may not be Lord Gwyn's firstborn who has relinquished his deity status who is described in the Sunlight Medal description. Additionally, he possesses the Lightning Spear miracle, which is described as "the weapon of the God of War".
Solaire can be summoned to help you with various boss fights throughout the game. If he survives the fight with you, he will give you a Sunlight Medal. If he dies during the fight, you will not receive the medal.
- Gifts you White Sign Soapstone the first time you meet him. Talk to him several times.
- Helps you in various boss fights.
- Allows you to join Warrior of Sunlight covenant when you talk to him in Sunlight Altar with the necessary Faith requirement.
To summon Solaire, the player has to be in Human form. A Golden Summon Sign (Warrior of Sunlight's summon sign) will be located right before a Boss' white fog door, allowing the player to summon Solaire.
|Area||Boss Fight||Location||Condition to Appear|
|Undead Parish||Belfry Gargoyles||In front of the boss fog||None|
|Depths||Gaping Dragon||Near the stairs, two levels above the boss fog, on the other side of Lautrec's summon sign||None|
|Anor Londo||Dragon Slayer Ornstein & Executioner Smough||On the staircase below the Greatbow Silver Knight||None|
|Demon Ruins||Centipede Demon||Several steps in front of the boss fog, near the roots||None|
|Kiln of the First Flame||Gwyn, Lord of Cinder||The top of the staircase, just after the third Black Knight, before turning right||Save him in Lost Izalith|
These are the various encounters with Solaire, you have to talk to him in this particular order to be able to Summon him at the final boss fight of the game.
- Undead Burg
You'll first encounter Solaire in the Undead Burg. He is in the area at the opposite end of the bridge on which the Hellkite Dragon is perched. Talk to him at the bridge and accept his offer in order to get a White Sign Soapstone for online multiplayer play. It is possible that he disappears after you defeat the Belfry Gargoyles. If this occurs, quitting the game and coming back will return him to the same area.
- Anor Londo
After speaking to him in the Undead Burg, you'll next be able to encounter him in Anor Londo. You'll find him next to the first bonfire after the two Silver Knight archers.
- Sunlight Altar - Optional
This one is optional and won't break his path through the game. After leaving Anor Londo, go to the Sunlight Altar in Undead Parish, and speak with him there. The Sunlight Altar is located to the right of the bonfire in the Undead Parish, right below the Hellkite Dragon's perch. The altar itself is in the area to the right of the bonfire where a broken statue is located. Go to that area and speak with Solaire who may prompt you to join the Warrior of Sunlight covenant should you meet the requirements for it.
- Just Before Lost Izalith
After the Centipede Demon boss fight, Solaire can be found in Demon Ruins, sitting near the bonfire after the boss room. You don't actually need to talk to him here, and several steps from Solaire is already Lost Izalith. Entering Lost Izalith here will make Solaire attack you in front of the Bed of Chaos boss fog. After killing Centipede Demon, go back and head to the Chaos Servant shortcut instead.
- Activate Shortcut to Lost Izalith
This shortcut can be found right before the Demon Firesage boss room by climbing down some large roots you can access through the large hole in the wall. In order to open this doorway, you must be a Chaos Servant +21 and then must touch the door itself. Be wary that if you kill The Fair Lady before you activate the shortcut, it will not open for you.
- The Chaos Bugs
By now you have probably noticed several Chaos Bugs in the shortcut area. There nine of them: eight normal, respawning ones; and one with glowing red-eyes. The red-eyed bug will drop a Sunlight Maggot when killed, and will not respawn; you need to kill this one to prevent Solaire from getting insane2. If you return to the shortcut door after reaching Lost Izalith, Solaire will be waiting on the ground outside the door. He will be depressed over his quest for his "sun". Speaking with him here will allow you to summon him to help you during the final boss fight with Gwyn, Lord of Cinder.
|Enter Lost Izalith through the current area (crossing the lava pools after the Centipede Demon)||Solaire goes insane and attacks you near the door to the Bed Of Chaos Boss Fight.|
|Enter Lost Izalith via the Chaos shortcut, but do not kill the Chaos Bugs||Solaire goes insane and the next time you visit the shortcut area, he can be found there, hostile.|
|Enter Lost Izalith via the Chaos shortcut, and find the Sunlight Maggot||Solaire shows up as normal just outside of the shortcut door and you can talk to him to trigger his final Summon Sign.|
|Enter Lost Izalith via the Chaos shortcut, find the Sunlight Maggot, but reach Kiln of the First Flame without speaking to Solaire before Lost Izalith||Solaire's final summon sign does not appear.|
If you reach Lost Izalith without killing the Chaos Bugs, Solaire will appear near the shortcut door (It does not matter if the shortcut has been opened or not) wearing the Sunlight Maggot. It would appear that he has finally found his personal sun. Unfortunately, this will drive him insane (he can still speak and does not have the Hollowed appearance, although this is maybe just the first step of going Hollow) and force you to end his story.
Save Solaire without the Chaos Servant Covenant
- It is possible to kill the Chaos Bugs if you use Poison Mist, Toxic Mist, or the White Dragon Breath through the door. Only the red-eyed Chaos Bug needs to be killed. The red-eyed Chaos Bug gives more souls than the regular bugs (200 on NG+), which is a good indicator of whether or not you killed the correct Chaos Bug on the other side of the door. The Sunlight Maggot will still be there, on the ground, until you pick it up later. You can reach his position by crossing the long bridge out of Lost Izalith that has the extremely powerful Prowling Demon on it. If you rewarp or reload, he should be sitting just pass the shortcut door (entering from either direction).
- Do not finish all the dialog with Solarie in the Undead Burg and go through the rest of the game without him appearing at any of the other locations nor being able to summon him. When you reach Lost Izalith and go to the Chaos Bug area Solaire will not be there. Dispose of the bugs and return to the Undead Burg and he should still be at the bridge. Complete all his dialog at Undead Burg, Anor Londo, and the bonfire right after Centipede Demon. You may now head through Lost Izalith back to the Chaos Bug area and Solaire should be sitting on the ground.
All dialogue text is © From Software Inc.
Voiced by: Daniel Flynn