If you want to use magic as your primary offensive tool, then the Sorcerer is the best class to begin with. The soul arrow will be your primary source of damage early in the game, and with 30 uses you can weaken enemies easily. Their high attunement and intelligence make both sorcery and pyromancy viable early on. Using physical weapons will be a struggle, however, so you’ll be limited to your dagger unless you spend points on strength. Their dexterity is decent, so using spears is also an option. This can provide you with a fallback at times when enemies are resistant to your magic. Definitely a tough class to use during early/mid-game, but it pays off once you obtain access to higher-end spells/catalysts.
- Uses ranged spells.
- Spells do magic damage, so enemies cannot block it.
- Can carry multiple spells.
- Can invest in dexterity.
- Is a fast class.
- Can level up more than any class.
Skill recommendation: 7/10
- Small Leather Shield
- Sorcerer's Catalyst
- Sorcerer Hat
- Sorcerer Cloak
- Sorcerer Gauntlets
- Sorcerer Boots
Sorcerer max level is 713, the highest max level of all the classes.
- If you plan on being primarily a caster, then focus on getting your attunement up and increasing your intelligence.
- Also think about increasing your dexterity as it increases the casting speed of sorceries, miracles and pyromancies. (Due to the fact that casting speed will see practically no increase until Dex is at 45 points (35 for slow-cast spells), this probably should actually not be recommended for PvE.)
- Attunement will be necessary to carry multiple spells, and intelligence will increase the damage of your spells so that you don't have to waste too many casts on each enemy. At least get your attunement to 16 for 4 slots. After that each slot starts requiring more points.
- You can buy your first spells from Rickert of Vinheim, the blacksmith found in New Londo Ruins below Firelink Shrine. They cost 2,000 and 4,000 souls so they may need some grinding to get. The next spell vendor isn't available until after you get the Basement key.
- If you have the DLC, you can get more strength for the abyss sorceries.
- Video: Beginner's Sorcerer Gear Location Guide (Tin Banishment Catalyst & Crimson Set)