If you want to use magic as your primary offensive tool, then the sorcerer is the best class to begin with. The Soul Arrow will be your primary source of damage early in the game, and with 30 uses it can weaken enemies easily. Due to the sorcerer's high attunement both sorcery and pyromancy are viable early on. Using physical weapons will be a struggle, though, so you’ll be limited to your dagger unless you spend points on strength. The sorcerer's dexterity is decent, so using spears is also an option. This can provide you with a fallback at times when enemies are resistant to your magic. The sorcerer is definitely a tough class to use during the early and mid-game, but pays off once you obtain access to higher-end spells and catalysts.
- Uses ranged spells.
- Spells do magic damage, ignoring physical armor, so enemies can't usually block it.
- Can carry multiple spells.
- Can invest in dexterity.
- Is a fast class.
- Can level up more than any other class.
Skill recommendation: 7/10
- Small Leather Shield
- Sorcerer's Catalyst
- Sorcerer Hat
- Sorcerer Cloak
- Sorcerer Gauntlets
- Sorcerer Boots
Sorcerer max level is 713, the highest max level of all the classes.
- If you plan on being primarily a caster, then focus on getting your attunement up and increasing your intelligence. Attunement will be necessary to carry multiple spells, and intelligence will increase the damage sorceries or intelligence-based weapons do.
- For PvP, consider increasing your dexterity as it increases the casting speed of sorceries, miracles and pyromancies. Due to the fact that casting speed will see practically no increase until dexterity is at 45 points (35 for slow-cast spells), this isn't recommended for PvE.
- You can buy your first spells from Rickert of Vinheim, the blacksmith found in New Londo Ruins below Firelink Shrine. They cost 2,000 and 4,000 souls each. The next sorcery vendor isn't available until after you get the Basement key.
- If you have the DLC, you can get more strength for the abyss sorceries.
- With the master key as a starting gift, it's recommended to get the Crimson Set and the Tin Banishment Catalyst once you arrive in Lordran (see video below), both of which help immensely with the playthrough especially early on. Video: Beginner's Sorcerer Gear Location Guide
- The Dagger is sufficient until you proceed to Blighttown. From this point you will almost solely need to rely on your sorceries or use a weapon such as the Morning Star. Once you reach Sen's Fortress you can pick up the Lightning Spear which will see you through to getting the weapon of your choice.
- In the mid to late game, it is recommended going for the Moonlight Greatsword (acquired from Seath the Scaleless in The Duke's Archives) which not only scales with intelligence but also possesses incredible magic-based special attacks (Moonlight Wave). Alternatively, you can upgrade a weapon of your choice (such as a Longsword) to Magic +10 / Enchanted +5 to scale with intelligence, or use a weapon with innate intelligence scaling such as Velka's Rapier.